In this short How To video we show you how to make a metallic glaze using The Artisan Company Metallic Alchemy range.
Using the Illuminator and your choice of Metallic Concentrate you can make a semi-translucent glaze that gives a wonderful metallic shimmer while allowing your base colour to come through.
In this video we talk you through what a glaze is, the tools you'll need and how to mix your glaze.
Tools recommended in this video:
- Metallic Concentrate of your choice - in this video we used Kingfisher Secrets, Oyster Cove and Luna Pearl
- Mini Measuring Spoons
- Glass Beaker or Petri Dish or Baking Paper
- Mixing Sticks
- Spalter Brush
- Olive Soap
Tips for mixing your metallic glaze:
- Mix on a flat surface so you can fully mix the Illuminator and Metallic Concentrate together.
- Measure with the measuring spoons and keep a track of how much you have used in case you need to mix more.
- Wipe the rim of your Illuminator jar with a damp cloth to remove any spills.
- You want your glaze to have a runny consistency when fully mixed.
- If using outside add a topcoat of premium lacquer for added durability.
- Wash your Spalter brush with warm water and gentle soap, we love the French olive soap, to keep your bristles conditioned and soft.
Further reading on making a metallic glaze:
- Making A Glaze blog post