Dooney & Daughters is owned by mother and daughter team, Deirdre & Nicolette and in 2021 Tracey joined the team full time.
We first opened in 2017 in Mt Eden, conveniently across the road from Nicolette's home, with a focus on curated vintage furniture and a mix of new and old homewares. After painting a few display pieces for the shop, Nicolette found a love in how paint can completely transform a piece of furniture and so we started selling painted pieces and working on commissions.
After some trial and error we discovered the creativity of Vintro chalk paint and became retailers, sharing our knowledge and passion in workshops.
Outgrowing our Mt Eden space, we relocated to 122 Upland Road in February 2020, less than six weeks before New Zealand went into the first Covid-19 lockdown. While it wasn't ideal timing, we loved getting back into the shop as soon as we could and the feel of the Benson Road Shops is that of a true community. We are lucky to be part of it.
Since then we have gone from strength to strength. Introducing New Zealand's first premium chalk paint, The Artisan Company, to Auckland and introducing more workshops and masterclasses.
With a love of colour, our boutique shop is aimed to inspire. We only stock premium products that we use daily and that we know will give our customers the best finish possible. We love to help, whether that's consulting on colour, helping with technique or completing hand-painted commission pieces and our goal is for our shop to be inviting and inspiring.
Co-owner and head painter, Nicolette is our master of colour! She can normally be found with a paint brush in hand or on her laptop updating our website and social media pages. In the shop Tuesday to Saturday, she also shares all of her knowledge in our workshops and loves nothing better than discussing your next paint project.
Quick fire round:
- Fave colour? While it changes daily, Old Espresso is my all time fave - I've even painted my bedroom in it!
- Decoupage, transfers or stencils? Decoupage, I love how it makes me feel like an artist even though I can't draw.
- Fave way to paint? I like speed, so it has to be painting with subtle texture.
- Matte, Satin or Gloss? Gloss! Except on the walls, I just love how matte that Matte Estate wall paint is.
- Fave thing to do when not working? I've just started sewing and am really enjoying learning something new. In the summer I also love getting out for walks.
- Bucket list travel destination? So many!!!! Travel is my all time favourite thing to do and I'm currently planning a trip to Nepal.
- Guilty pleasure? Love Island, it gets me through those long winter evenings.
While most of our workshop attendees have met co-owner Deirdre, she is mostly working behind the scenes keeping the shop running! In charge of sourcing furniture and making sure all of our bills are paid on time, she is the Queen of getting things done and making sure our grand creative ideas turn into actionable steps.
Quick fire round:
- Fave colour? While it changes frequently, I've had a lot of fun with Grassmere recently.
- Decoupage, transfers or stencils? Transfers, I love the way they can be used in so many different ways.
- Fave way to paint? Without getting too much paint on myself.
- Matte, Satin or Gloss? Satin.
- Fave thing to do when not working? Enjoying the life of being 'retired'!
- Bucket list travel destination? Greece, would love to go back.
- Guilty pleasure? Whittaker's Hokey Pokey chocolate or Jaffa's!
Sales manager Tracey joined the team in March 2021 and we have no idea how we managed before her! Super organised, she loves a spreadsheet and to help all of our customers solve their painting dilemmas. Tracey is in the shop Monday to Friday and when she's not helping customers or answering emails, she has a paintbrush (or two) in hand and is painting new pieces for the shop.
Quick fire round:
- Fave colour? Rubbed Sage and Agave are my usual faves but I'm very partial to Potters Clay at the moment!
- Decoupage, transfers or stencils? Def decoupage, I love the creativity of it.
- Fave way to paint? I really like a smooth finish.
- Matte, Satin or Gloss? I'm a Satin girl.
- Fave thing to do when not working? I like adventure and trying lots of new things and am currently taking drum and golf lessons, and I always enjoy our Cocktail Sundays.
- Bucket list travel destination? Ireland! Currently planning my dream trip for my 50th.
- Guilty pleasure? Other than Cocktail Sunday... my daily afternoon chai latte.